Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bastard Chair Is Made From Leftovers


The Bastard from Whatels has an amazing look that's derived almost entirely from how the chair is produced. It's made from scraps of leather leftover from the production of more traditional furniture, and the shape of each Bastard is dictated by the shape of the leather scraps. The somewhat charming but not entirely comprehensible description on the Whatels site explains: "It finds its routs in the production methods and materials of a furniture company. Even though his looks on first glans don't seem to have anything to do with the company and seem to be only derived from me the opposite is actually true." And after that, what more is there to say?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this blog, thanks for sharing.
- George Ya76oo

6:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow what a unique concept! So every bastard chair comes out differently right? Because the shape of the leather scraps determines the design of the chair. Nice!

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that this chair is crap. This is not design.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe people would actually pay money for this chair. It looks like junk, probably sits like junk, but since it's recycled it's "cool"....
i've got some old 2x4's in my basement that I can nail together into a crappy bench, can I get a studio and a space at MoMA?

5:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its a nice chair. i like it

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting chair as part of a set it looks like a pile of junk!! I wonder how comfortable the chairs would be as all designs are different. Each chair offers a unique experience, bringing a new level of discomfort for the user.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An accurate title for this chair!
(Named after the stupid bastard who actually bought one.)

I'll bet they're just "lovin' it death" as it sloppily sits there, mocking them in their living room, in it's imbecilic way.

Hey Van Girl- Truly a unique experience. Place it next to your bean bag chair.

8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, Van Girl.(oops)
I misread your post.
I thought that you liked it.
My mistake.

8:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first reaction was just like this : " hey is this chair " :)

12:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This has to be the most bizarre chair I have ever saw. I'm not exactly sure what one would do with it, but if you like unique pieces it will be right for someone!

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home